No Military Solution to Nagorno Karabakh, Says US Diplomat in Baku
The US is strongly convinced that there is no military solution to the Nagorno Karabakh conflict, the US Deputy Secretary of State William Burns told journalists in Baku on Tuesday.
“The US is committed that on the highest level our government is doing everything we can to renew and strengthen the Minsk Group process,” Burns noted, reports Trend news agency.
Burns said the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict was an important subject of his discussions in Baku today.
“We approached with a strong conviction that there is no military solution to the conflict,” he said.
The US approaches the conviction that the status quo is not sustainable, added the US deputy secretary of state who is on Baku for one day only.
The disputed territory of Nagorno-Karabakh broke away from Azerbaijan after a bloody war in the 1990s and is populated mainly by ethnic Armenians. Today it exists as a de-facto independent state under an uneasy ceasefire, and OSCE-brokered efforts to resolve its status have so far been unsuccessful.
- 23.03.2012 15:14
- 13.03.2012 17:52
- 17.02.2012 17:20
- 02.02.2012 16:22